Regional and Business Development Branch
The Branch promotes and coordinates regional economic planning and
development programs and services at the provincial level. The Branch
includes five regional offices and three corporate office divisions.
The Branch supports economic and business development through the delivery of
a targeted suite of programs and services. This includes:
- Coordinates communities, regions, businesses and government in support
of sustainable development opportunities.
- Identifies, in consultation with community and regional partners and
line departments, the strategic investments required to advance economic,
social, cultural and environmental development in all regions.
- Works withline departments to address policy, program and regulatory
issues that present barriers to implementation of priority initiatives
identified for regions.
- Implements the Regional Development Fund and Business Investment Fund
throughout the province which provides non-repayable contributions to
eligible organizations in support of the development and implementation of
- Delivers the Community Capacity Building program, a comprehensive
development program designed to help regional and community economic
development stakeholders build organizational capacity.
- Through a formal MOU with the Newfoundland-Labrador Federation of
Co-operatives, works to increase knowledge and awareness of the co-op
development opportunities throughout the province, enhance opportunity
identification and increase the number of development projects, improve
regional development support services and increase the number of co-op
enterprises in NL.
- Develops and delivers Business Retention and Expansion (BR&E), a
business counseling tool which assists with the identification and removal
of barriers to growth and expansion.
- Supports government planning initiatives and provincial policy
initiatives relating to provincial economic development.
- Coordinates Government's response to communities directly affected by
- Ensures consideration of Government's economic agenda in the Labour
Market Development Agreement processes.
- Provides and administers front-line small business development and
community economic development programs and services to clients via five
regional offices and 16 local offices.
- Delivers BTCRD's comprehensive toolkit in support of priority business
and regional development initiatives throughout the province, including:
- Monitors and manages Department's Regional SME portfolio for repayment
- Provides policy development, strategic planning, co-ordination and
analytical support for small and medium-sized enterprise financial
assistance/incentive programs delivered by the Department.
- Provides business due diligence analysis on major funding requests
assigned to the Department outside of existing programs.
- Provides analysis and support to all other Divisions on major
investment/business proposals to the Department.
- The Business Analysis Division provides administrative support to the
Business Investment Corporation Board, its Business Investment Management
Committee and the EDGE Board. It also administers the Fisheries Loan
- The Portfolio Management Division provides corporate comptrollership and
financial accounting activities related to business investments made under
the Business Investment Fund and its predecessor agencies. It manages and
monitors revenue collections on overall investment portfolio, assumes direct
collections responsibility for delinquent accounts.