Suggestions for the Presentation of Visual Art
When deciding how to frame your artwork for the Arts and Letters Awards, it
is recommended that you use simple, neutral colours. Avoid "dressing up" your
artwork with coloured mats and/or busy framing, which can distract the
adjudicators from the work. Keep in mind that adjudicators assess a large number
of pieces, and the best way to highlight your work is to let it stand on its
The following are suggested approaches to the presentation of visual art.
- Works on Paper, Framing with Glass
- Use a white or off-white single or double mat.
- Choose a mat with a slightly larger lower border than the top and sides
to create a more balanced visual effect.
- Use a simple metal or wooden frame.
- Works on Canvas or Board, Framing without Glass
- Use a simple wooden frame in a neutral colour.
- If you use a liner to separate the frame from the artwork, keep it
simple and neutral.
- Unframed Works on Canvas or Board
- All edges of your canvas should be painted white and clean.
- If the edge is wood be sure to have it neatly finished.